Named for Hiawatha, this quiet Pender County community lies between Burgaw and Wallace just off Highway 117.
Watha was originally named South Washington dating back to 1836 when the railroad was built. The name was changed to Watha since another town named Washington in the state caused mail to be sent incorrectly.
The first courthouse in Pender County was located in Watha. In 1926 the town suffered a devastating fire which destroyed much of the town.
Today it remains largely a residential area with an estimated population of 172. In February 2009, Watha celebrated its 100 year anniversary.
Many of its residents are retired and enjoy the rural quaintness so often repeated in the western part of Pender County.