Rocky Point located nine miles south of Burgaw, is a small community of several hundred people. Here you will find farmers, business owners, and many of the younger generation who commute between here and Wilmington.
During Revolutionary times, and since that time, Rocky Point was the residence of many Colonial families and was always famous for its wonderfully fertile soil, growing bountiful crops each year without the aid or use of much fertilizer. Within a five mile radius of the town, there are as many as five thousand acres of fertile marl sub-soil land that will last as long as time itself.
In 1880 the French brothers operated the rock quarries and marl beds on their property called Excelsior Plantation. It was known at that time as the only place where this special fertilizer was made from the chalk marl deposits and therefore recommended highly by the State chemists.
When the channel of the Cape Fear River was deepened, the rock that filled the new inlet below Wilmington came from the Rocky Point section on the North East Cape Fear River. When completed in 1875, it was called “The Rocks.”