Atkinson is a rural town in west Pender County. From 1880 to 1882, the Cape Fear and Yadkin Valley Railroad extended the railroad line from the seacoast to the mountains. The town of Atkinson was established when W.H. Lewis gave his land for the local railroad station to be built. At that time though, the town was called Lewis because Mr. Lewis was so giving of his time and efforts toward the development of the area. After the town was incorporated in 1909, Mr. Lewis renamed the town Atkinson, in commemoration of an engineer named Atkinson.
In the years that have passed and at the present time, Atkinson maintains fine farming with lots of produce and blueberries. In 1925, the County erected Atkinson School which still stands today and is used for town events. On October 10, 2009, Atkinson held its 100 years celebration.